There are various positions where patrol cops operate. They have to ensure that all the traffic rules are followed. If some people break the rules, they have to book them. Then they have to ensure that the vehicles do not break the speed limits. This is essential because most accidents occur because of speeding vehicles. They have to write tickets giving a detail of who broke the law, his license ID, the crime for which he is being booked, and so on. In case of accidents, they have to provide medical aid to the victims and if required take them to the hospital. The work profile of a safety patrol officer also includes checking vehicles to see if they carry any suspicious elements. In fact, with the ugly head of terrorism rising with every passing moment, patrol cops have to play a critical role in curbing their activities. Other things include booking drunk drivers and also helping people with directions. They also have to cope with lost children and lost dogs.
But at the same time, patrol cops have to take care of their certification as it does not take time for the authorities to make you give up your certificate. Your certificate will be snatched in following cases:
- If you are convicted of any felony.
- If any misbehavior is observed, you will have to be forfeit your license.
- If you are seen getting involved in any criminal activities or assisting someone in doing that, you stand guilty.
Here are some of the requirements:
- You must be a citizen of United States
- You must be of at least 21 years of age.
- The minimum qualifications required are a 3 year diploma in any field.
- Some states require a 2 year associates state degree in criminal justice.
- You must have a valid driver’s license.
- It is mandatory to have a minimum of 36 hours of classes from a recognized institution.
- If the above condition is not satisfied, being a member of a military academy will also do.
- You need to clear a civil service examination.
- You must be a certified police officer by the Department of Public Safety standards and safety.
It is essential to take a proper training from a police academy. The duration of the training is around 4 to 5 months on average. Safety patrol cops also have to undergo intense physical training. You will also have to undergo field training which involves being aware of the department’s policies and laws specific to your city or municipality.
The job opportunities for patrol cops are going to increase at a slow but steady rate. By the next decade, the job opportunities are expected to increase by about 6%. Due to an increase in crime rate, every state will require highway patrol officers.
Most states pay patrol cops on an hourly basis. For newly recruits, the wages are around $24/hr. This can rise to around $30/hr, depending on experience and qualifications. In general, safety patrol officers make around $30,000 to $40,000 annually.
Before opting for this field, talk to other officers to find out what all is expected out of this job and what are the dangers involved. Talk to your family members before making the decision.